School Contaminated With Dangerous Black Mold
Rare Mold Can Cause Breathing Problems, Bleeding Lungs
POSTED: 3:45 p.m. CST October 30, 2002
BIRMINGHAM, Ala. -- Constant moisture and humidity may be feeding a dangerous
black mold in one Birmingham-area high school.
A laboratory in Florida issued a recent report identifying the mold as Stachybotrys.
The fungus was found in a hallway at Mortimer Jordan High School.
Health officials say the rare black mold can cause health problems, such as
breathing difficulty and bleeding lungs. The fungus is also capable of causing
death in infants.
Stachybotrys generally grows on wood, paper, ceiling tiles and dry wall. The
fungus often grows after a flood or when a sewer backs up.
Officials said cleaning up the mold is dangerous and costly. Eradicating the
fungus in a home can cost up to $10,000.
Jefferson County School Superintendent Bobby Neighbors said Tuesday the school
district has not commissioned any testing at Mortimer Jordan.
OR GO TO MOLD TRAINING
Professional Mold Testing and Mold Remediation Classes
Call Southeastern Mold Institute Inc. at 1-850-276-3135 for
a FREE PHONE CONSULATION on MOLD TRAINING AND MOLD CERTIFICATION
OTHER HELPFUL TOXIC MOLD SITES:
OR EMAIL US AT
MOLD TRAINING CLASS = ADMIN@MOLDCLASS.COM