Health Concerns Breed Suits Over Mold
December 31, 2002
By AARON FAUST, Courant Staff Writer
ENFIELD -- Stephen Champagne says the mold in his rented Elm Street home has
sent him to the hospital twice and is responsible for the headaches, fatigue,
memory loss and respiratory ailments he has suffered since he moved in a year
and a half ago.
His son, who lives with his mother, is no longer allowed to go inside the
house, he said, because 4-year-old Stefan's neck balloons to the size of a football
and his nose bleeds.
Champagne's landlord, Henry Bissonnette, said he has removed the mold, and
the local health department considers the matter closed.
But Champagne says his maladies have continued.
He has been withholding his rent payments until he is satisfied the mold problem
has been corrected. His landlord, meanwhile, has served him with an eviction
notice, and Champagne said he is considering legal action to compel his landlord
to address the mold problem.
Mold has yet to cause the explosion of lawsuits and health concerns in Connecticut
that states such as Texas and California have seen. But more people in private
homes, schools and office buildings are sounding the alarm over its effects.
Six Simsbury police department employees have filed a notice they intend to
sue the town because of health problems they acquired while working in the town
hall basement, which contains mold.
In the fall, Fairfield received $1.2 million in an agreement from its insurance
company because of mold at McKinley Elementary School that led to health problems
for students and staff. Fairfield is rebuilding McKinley for about $23 million.
A legislative aide who works at the state Capitol said she fielded a call
six months ago from a constituent who said the mold in his new home was making
his family sick. He "was trying to figure out who to sue," the aide
Champagne said he has asked lawyers the same question but has yet to retain
When he moved into the house at 153 Elm St. in May 2001, the kitchen sink,
dishwasher, bathtub and a number of pipes were leaking, he said, and in June
2001 the basement flooded, soaking the carpet.
About a month later, he said, he began to feel fatigued and started coming
down with the runny nose, sore throat, sinus infections and other ailments.
Whenever Champagne leaves the house for more than a day or two he gets better,
he said, but relapses upon his return. He said he has racked up roughly $16,000
in medical expenses - he has no health insurance - and said he has missed work
for weeks at a time because of his condition. He has thought about leaving the
house, but would like to stay to avoid moving expenses and because his son lives
just down the street.
In September, Champagne had the house tested for mold. A Westfield, Mass.,
firm, Home Environmental Services Inc., found elevated levels of mold in his
basement, the cold air return and in his mattress.
In October, Bissonnette called the North Central District Health Department,
which sent out an inspector. At first the inspector said he didn't see any mold,
but after Champagne showed it to him he advised Bissonnette to clean it up and
brush the affected areas with mold-resistant paint, according to the inspector's
"We went in and cleaned up what there was of it. It was like mildew;
everybody gets mildew, it's no big deal," Bissonnette said.
In November, the health inspector returned, examined the cleanup and said
no further action was required.
Champagne said that there was still mold in his basement as of December and
that nothing had been painted.
"Generally we get the landlord and tenant to work it out," said
William Blitz, the head of the health department. Mold "is not really a
specialty of ours."
"I guess anybody has the right to sue anybody they want if they feel
like it," Bissonnette said when asked about Champagne's potential suit.
"I don't know if he's got a leg to stand on."
Mold-related lawsuits have grown steadily across the country since the late
1980s, but it wasn't until Melinda Ballard of Texas won $32 million from Farmers
Insurance in 2001 that insurance companies, lawyers, builders and media across
the country began to take notice. A Texas appeals court reduced Ballard's award
to $4 million on Dec. 19.
Since Ballard's verdict, insurance companies, which have been the target of
most lawsuits, have lobbied hard to change state and federal guidelines to limit
the amount of money policyholders can receive for mold-related claims.
In August, the Connecticut Insurance Department, which regulates the state's
insurance industry, capped the amount homeowners can receive for mold damages
resulting from fire or lightning at $50,000. The department set the cap for
other mold claims at $10,000, and insurance companies no longer have to offer
mold coverage on commercial policies.
"Insurance companies point to the dramatic change in mold-related claim
frequency and severity in Texas and California to support filings. Information
submitted suggests the increase in mold-related claim costs could expand to
Connecticut and other states," a preface to the state guidelines says.
George Lang, a lawyer from Chicago, said his firm has more than 260 mold-related
cases pending in 34 states.
Increased awareness about mold-related health problems, along with modern
building practices and materials that trap moisture and provide nutrients for
mold to grow are the two biggest reasons for the increase in litigation, Lang
But that litigation has yet to occur on a large scale in Connecticut.
"We keep a pretty good handle on the kinds of cases that are going on
in the state of Connecticut, and quite frankly, I have not seen a lot of discussion
involving tort cases that have to do with mold," said Neil Ferstand, executive
director of the Connecticut Trial Lawyers Association.
Spokesmen from the Connecticut Property Owners Association and the Homebuilders
Association of Hartford County, whose members would traditionally be prime targets
for lawsuits along with the insurance companies, also said that mold is not
a big issue.
Molds are microscopic organisms that are "found virtually everywhere"
and "live on plants, foods, dry leaves, wood and other organic materials,"
according to a fact sheet put out by the state Department of Public Health.
"Certain types of molds ... are toxic to humans, animals and plants,"
the sheet says, and can cause allergic reactions, including breathing problems,
red eyes, sore throats, nasal and sinus congestion, skin irritation, dizziness
The fact sheet urges residents to consult their physicians for mold-related
health problems and recommends fixing water leaks and cleaning mold when it's
"[Mold]'s fairly low on our radar screen at this point," said state
Rep. Mary Eberle, who will retire at the end of the year as the co-chairperson
of the legislature's public-health committee.
Gary Ginsberg, a toxicologist with the department of public health, said scientists
have yet to establish an air-quality standard for mold.
"The science has not evolved," he said.
Al Reigins has tested mold levels in homes for 10 years, and the company he
works for, Northeast Laboratories of Berlin, analyzed the mold samples found
in Champagne's basement.
Northeast identified one of the samples as Cladosporium, a common mold that
causes respiratory allergies for some people.
"For me and you, [Cladosporium] probably doesn't matter, but for some,
yes," Reigins said.
A tenant who lived in Champagne's house for eight years before him said that
she never had health problems. Nor did anybody else in her family.
That's little consolation for Champagne, however, whose home hovered at 44
degrees one December day because he said the heating system sucks up mold spores
from the basement and spreads them around the house. He won't turn the heat
on because of it.
"All I wanted [Bissonnette] to do was just come over here and get rid
of the mold," he said.
OR GO TO MOLD TRAINING
Professional Mold Testing and Mold Remediation Classes
Call Southeastern Mold Institute Inc. at 1-850-276-3135 for
a FREE PHONE CONSULATION on MOLD TRAINING AND MOLD CERTIFICATION
OTHER HELPFUL TOXIC MOLD SITES:
OR EMAIL US AT
MOLD TRAINING CLASS = ADMIN@MOLDCLASS.COM